Basilica di Santa Maria del Popolo
- Piazza del Popolo, 12
Built in 1099 with funds offered by the community (popolo in Italian, inspiring the church’s name) perhaps out of gratitude for the liberation of the Holy Sepulchre, it was altered by Maderno, Raphael, Bramante and Bernini, and is decorated with masterpieces like the Crucifixion of St. Peter and the Conversion of St. Paul by Caravaggio in the transept. The Chigi Chapel is splendid, designed by Raphael and restored by Bernini.
Neighborwood: Campo Marzio